Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect the views and opinions of the Peace Corps, the US Government, Vice President Biden, or President Obama. Except for any parts that make me seem awesome. Then that is definitely everyone's belief.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Gifts and Food: Two wonderful things

These are a couple short ones about the culture here. Life is good...

The Malagasy people have a culture of sharing and gift giving that I wish existed in the US and I plan to bring back with me. Here you don't just give gifts on birthdays or Christmas but all the time. And if you have some extra of something you give it to neighbors or friends. Or even if you don't have extra you still share.

If you go somewhere that is far enough away that you have to stay a night it is the culture to bring back gifts. They are called “voandalana”. They can be something as simple as a banana or a loaf of bread. It is more about the idea that you were thinking of everyone when you were gone. If you go far enough that you are in a different region you should try to get something that is unavailable in your region. Or just something that is made in the town you visited that might be more rare in your town. It can actually be overwhelming all of the things people bring you. Just today I got a voandalana from my neighbors aunt who I had never met before. She is in town to visit our doctor (who is an incredible doctor and human being) and she knew there was a new volunteer in town so she brought me a gift. She lives in a town called Maromandia which is a good 6-8 hours from here so she came far with this thing just to give it to some one she has never met and who she might only see a couple times ever. My landlady/neighbor's husband travels a lot for work and he always brings back something. It might be as small as a bag of onions or as big as a pineapple which is kind of expensive.

It is also fun the go to the market when you are out of town and find gifts for people. It gives you an excuse to shop in a place you probably wouldn't normally and to walk around a while to find good, unique stuff. I'm already looking forward to gift shopping when I head to the capital for a training in mid-July.

It is also a big thing here to share things. Whenever I come back from the market I usually have a few snacks or small pieces of bread that I share with people. Kind of like mini voandalana. Another good example is, it is orange season right now. The trees have a ton of fruit on them. They are very cheap at the market. But some of the people I have become friends with in town have some trees they harvest from and on more than one occasion they have come by to get me before harvesting to bring me along and give me some of what they get. They could just as easily sell me some as they are dirt cheap. But they give them instead. It's quite amazing.

We could learn a little from this as Americans I think. It really doesn't matter how big or expensive the gift is. Just that you thought of some one and brought them something.

And here's a little something about fried things:

I think one of my favorite things here so far is the street food and drink. There are so many good things to try. And most of them are breaded and fried. All of them are cheap. If I lived in a bigger town and didn't have to bike/walk so much to get anywhere I might be the first person to move from the US to Africa and gain weight. I guess there's still time to accomplish that goal one deep-fried snack at a time.

If I had to pick a favorite...I couldn't. But the fried bananas are especially delicious. They are breaded and called “mofo katakata”. I can't get enough. When they are still warm, but not molten lava hot, they are incredible. There are also “mofo boulinas” or bread balls. Just fried dough shaped in a ball. Another, who's name escapes me, is an actual piece of bread (usually a piece of baguette) that's been breaded, then deep fried. So, so good. There is also “mofo sake”, fried bread with spicy peppers in it. Or even “mofo crevette”, fried shrimp bread. The collection of fried goodness makes me cry tears of joy sometimes. It's not all fried though. At night people make bruschettes that are awesome and are usually served with a spicy green papaya slaw, although that can differ depending on the region. The real cou de grace though is, in a big town, you can often find some weird stuff. I'm talking cow esophagus, bat, pig insides, eel, you name it. I love trying the weird things. And Malagasy people love a vazaha who tries weird things. There is another member of my group who is even more adventurous than I am. It's pretty fun to walk up to a stall at night and see what is the craziest thing they have available. Sometimes it is great. And sometimes cow esophagus tastes like cow esophagus.

There are also good drinks available. Everything comes with a liberal dose of sugar. Some of the best juice I've ever had has been here with the pineapple juice at my local hotely (kind of like a small local restaurant) being especially good. But it is also served cold and I'm often hot so maybe I have clouded memories. There is also some pretty decent coffee or tea which is great for my caffeine fix. I also make “Cafe Pele” instant coffee at home. It's named after the famous soccer star and there are posters with him in a lot of places advertising it. I guess he is still a big deal here. There is also a tea made from the kola nut that I really like. It's kind of spicy but hard to describe. It's strange too because the kola nut itself is kind of gross but the tea is very good. I've only had it in Antsohihy so far which is a bummer because that is a little far away. But I can always have some whenever I have to hit up the bank or get some more seeds for the garden.

Hopefully for my heart's sake I'll get tired of the deep fried goodness. I actually don't think I eat too much of it but am probably lying to myself. I think I need to go on a run...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment