Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect the views and opinions of the Peace Corps, the US Government, Vice President Biden, or President Obama. Except for any parts that make me seem awesome. Then that is definitely everyone's belief.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Behavior change is like math...hard

When teaching people things, especially very new things that can seem like radical changes to them, I think it is most important to anticipate any issues that may come up or excuses that may be used to not make a life change. That way you can combat them up front and hopefully take away any excuses people might have. This won't convert everyone but I firmly believe it will help convert those on the fence. Without any clear excuses as to why they can not try something new there are some people who will go ahead and try it. If the change is a good one, and it works, they will be hooked after trying it. It's that getting people to try things that is most difficult. People are creature of habit and moving them out of their comfort zone is like moving a stubborn cow. It takes a lot of tugging and, more importantly, a lot of coaxing.

I have a training coming up in a little more than a week where I will teach the people of my village about nutrition and how to cook a simple nutritious meal. It will not be a hard presentation in many ways. I'm comfortable with the language I will be using. I know exactly what I will be teaching and how I will do it. I have the support of my neighbor who will help me with the training and any language that comes up that I'm not familiar with yet. I already know the turnout will be high. And what I'm teaching are very basic concepts and techniques that most people are at least vaguely familiar with or will be able to grasp quickly. But I am very nervous. This will be the first training I do here within my project framework and area of expertise (or quasi-expertise). It is imperative that is goes well. First of all, obviously, my ego needs it to go well. If this is smooth I'll have confidence going forward for other more difficult and technical trainings. But also, I am starting down the path of behavior change and that is extremely difficult. Getting people to change anything, whether it's the way they eat or the the route they take to work, is almost impossible within your own culture let alone in one you are unfamiliar with and new to. That's what we as volunteers are here for but it is daunting. I have tried my best to take away reasons not to do what I am teaching. The meal I am preparing will be made with things you can buy in town cheaply. It will be very similar to what people are used to eating with a few slight tweaks. The biggest difference will be the proportions of the meal and the diversity of the contents. Nothing in it will be new but the combination of the things might be. There should be no excuse to not at least try it.

It is a fear of mine that I will be here for two years, do a ton of trainings, and nothing will stick. I really don't think that will happen and I am confident in myself but that would be a nightmare scenario. I think about it a lot and a lot of my drive comes from not wanting to let the people here down and from wanting to make sure that when I leave here in April 2016 or so I have actually made a difference for people. This first training is the first step. It will also be very important to follow up with people to see if they are using things. I am going to try to do that by stopping in on people during meals to see what they are making and also by doing a similar training in concept in a few months but with different foods for the different season.


I can't wait for this training. I know it is going to go well and I know some people will leave it and try to implement the things myself and my neighbor teach them. Even if it is just 2 people that will be a success. It will be a baby step down the path to behavior change and community betterment. I'm not sure if there are any other steps you can take.   

No comments:

Post a Comment