Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect the views and opinions of the Peace Corps, the US Government, Vice President Biden, or President Obama. Except for any parts that make me seem awesome. Then that is definitely everyone's belief.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Independence Day Malagasy Style

Vingt six! Fetim-pirenena! AKA Independence Day. Malagasy Independence Day is June 26th. So we just celebrated and the fety (party) is ongoing. There are things going on all week. Mostly a lot of eating and talking during the day but dancing and pop-up discos at night.

This is my first Independence Day here in country so I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it was the biggest holiday here. Apparently in the capital and other big cities they set of fireworks just like in the US. Around my village things are less hi-tech but fun. On the day of the 26th there was a flag raising ceremony followed by speeches by local dignitaries. After that were some dance performances that were very impressive. They were used as fundraisers for various things. I was asked to joined in on one and declined for fear of both embarrassment and losing the cause money from my performance. There was also a soccer game I attended that was a lot of fun. One of the older men from the village sat near me and proceeded to do running play-by-play of the entire game as if he was calling it for television. Here that is called “tantara ny soma” which literally means “story of the game”. It was fantastic and hilarious. He even filled in gaps in the action or slow moments with filler that would be recognized by anyone such as, (in Malagasy of course) “We're here in the town of Ankazambo for this big game...” or “It's a beautiful day for the game today. Not too much wind or too much heat.” It was, in a word, amazing. Apparently he does this at a lot of the big games. It also made me feel good that most of the Malagasy people there found it as hilarious as I did. Including the man doing it. He just liked to give the crowd a show.

The following days were filled with more speeches and more dancing. I even gave a small impromptu speech myself that wasn't nearly as well delivered as the last speech I gave in Malagasy. I did go off the cuff though so it was just as satisfying. It only lasted about a minute but I expressed my love of the Malagasy culture and people and complimented them on their impressive dances moves. Everyone seemed as happy with the latter part as the former.

All in all the Independence Day celebration was a lot of fun and is in a way still ongoing. There is a final disco tomorrow which will mark the end of the celebration week. I for one hope to import the Malagasy idea of celebrating and turn all US holidays into week long celebrations. I think Columbus Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, hell even St. Patty's Day deserve a week at least. It's a shame we as Americans don't really let the good times roll as long as we should.


(Two asides. One, even though the celebration is ongoing people are still hard at work. So it's not like nothing is getting done. For instance, just the last few days, we have built an apparatus, for lack of a better word, for our pole beans to climb, created a compost pile, and transplanted a new crop of greens for eating and selling that should be ready in about a month or so. This is in addition to the normal work of running shops, maintasining homes, and the like that everyone does. The second aside is that, Mr. President if you are reading this, I am serious about the week long celebrations. I am supposed to finish up here in late April of 2016. Maybe we should try one out upon my return to see how it goes. It could be a great piece of your legacy. Think it over. No need to rush a response.)

No comments:

Post a Comment